greg (grysar) wrote,

Fun with health

I had a minor medical procedure on Friday. I wasn't sick or in any real danger, just fixing something I'd discovered the first time I visited my internist, rather than my pediatrist.

I took general anesthesia after having waited around for about the usual time in the hospital. The anesthesiologist had an excellent bedside manner and everyone else was at least nice. I woke up an hour to an hour and a half after it was all over feeling more than a bit woozy.

There was a nurse there who was watching over me occasionally and initially directed I take deep breathes, I had an oxygen tube for the first part. I came to a bit more, I'm not sure if my indicators changed at all, though I did have fun watching my breathing on a monitor. I think I stayed awake the whole time but without my glasses on I couldn't really see a clock to be sure.

After getting wheeled about with my eyes closes (after a warning about potential nausea) I got parked in the room I started out in, had a few sticky monitor things removed which wasn't as painful as they made it out to be, though to my amusement the next morning I discover they left one on. My mom came out then, which I was quite happy about, because being out of it alone sucks, its boring, a bit scary, and one's thoughts don't make the most interesting company.

I changed out of the lovely back exposing robes and got wheeled out, though I could probably have walked without too much trouble. I had a prescription for Tylenol 3 with Codine that Mom picked up, but I've avoided it so far, regular Tylenol manages the pain and I've decided that pain beats the medicated feeling in this instance. I had dinner then went to sleep after watching newshour, woke up with 8 hours of rest at around 3 am. Used the computer, wandered the house a bit, took some more Tylenol, discovered changing positions is something to be done carefully then went back to sleep. Today I'm having a more laxidasical than average Saturday and this afternoon i get to remove the dressing and a drain, and will be quite happy to have it over with.

Though I don't get to resort to my favorite comfort, a hot bath, until Sunday, and no strenuous activity for 2 weeks, which puts a bit of a cramp in my exercise program.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment